Anzu The Great Destroyer's Reviews > A Monster Calls

A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness

Dec 29, 11

bookshelves: ya-is-dead, dat-cover-goddammit, i-am-stalking-you, yep-it-was-the-cover, reviewed-2011, must-reads, excitement, fantasia-ya, great-concept, something-different
Recommended for: every-f*ckin-one!
Read from December 17 to 18, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1 - for now!

** Favourite book of 2011 **

The monster showed up just after midnight. As they do.

I‘ve been stalking looking for A Monster Calls for quite a while. All those great reviews got to my head and I was so damn curious to see what all the fuss was about.

And then I finally got the hardcover.

And then I started reading it.

And then holy f*ck mother that is good and shiny. Wtf is this book??? I’m being mindraped. I have no words to express my feelings. I guess this will do

This book looks amazing. It’s actually one of the best looking books I’ve ever seen. The artist is a freakin’ genius! So please, for your sake, don’t you dare buy the version without illustrations! Don’t you freakin’ dare!

Apart from the extra stars that I was going to give A Monster Calls only for its looks we have the heartbreaking story. You would think this is a horror book. I know I did. And I was wrong! It’s actually a very good lesson on human nature and such a wonderful experience. So if you’re a pansy (don’t worry, I won’t tell anyone) you have nothing to fear. You can go ahead and throw all those flashlights and broom handles that were supposed to defend you against the Boogeyman. But get your tissues ready.

Anyway, I’ll try not to ramble or make too many noises. My review ends here. All I have to add is that this book is stunning and buying it was one of the best decisions I’ve made this year. Five stars are not enough for rating it.

Favorite quotes
Who am I? the monster repeated, still roaring. I am the spine that the mountains hang upon! I am the tears that the rivers cry! I am the lungs that breathe the wind! I am the wolf that kills the stag, the hawk that kills the mouse, the spider that kills the fly! I am the stag, the mouse and the fly that are eaten! I am the snake of the world devouring its tail! I am everything untamed and untameable! It brought Conor up close to its eye. I am this wild earth, come for you, Conor O’Malley.

Stories are wild creatures, the monster said. When you let them loose, who knows what havoc they might wreak?

“What did you do to help the invisible man?” And he felt the monster’s voice again, like it was in his own head. I made them see, it said.

As incredible as it seemed, time kept moving forward for the rest of the world. The rest of the world that wasn’t waiting.

You do not write your life with words, the monster said. You write it with actions. What you think is not important. It is only important what you do.

Personal notes

I finally bought this! Thank you stupid cafe in Cairo for not having a bathroom and making me use the one at the wonderful bookshop I stopped by!

Ooh how I love the monster. Why can’t I get a visit from one? Only mine should be eleven stories tall and it would probably be a palm tree.

Must...not...cry...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Monster Calls.

Quotes Anzu Liked

Patrick Ness
“You do not write your life with words...You write it with actions. What you think is not important. It is only important what you do.”

Patrick Ness
“There is not always a good guy. Nor is there always a bad one. Most people are somewhere in between.”

Patrick Ness
Who am I? the monster repeated, still roaring. I am the spine that the mountains hang upon! I am the tears that the rivers cry! I am the lungs that breathe the wind! I am the wolf that kills the stag, the hawk that kills the mouse, the spider that kills the fly! I am the stag, the mouse and the fly that are eaten! I am the snake of the world devouring its talk! I a It brought Conor up close to its eye. I am this wild earth, come for you, Conor O'Malley.

12/18/2011 page 215
100.0% "RCS" 6 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Dija I'm going to buy this soon, so I highly anticipate your review! Are there many English bookstores in Cairo?

Anzu The Great Destroyer Having in mind the size of the city I'm sure there are. You just need to discover them. Same goes to Alexandria. I have to go bookshop hunting asap!

Dija That's awesome! And how about the prices? Are they more expensive/cheaper/the same?

Anzu The Great Destroyer Depends on the book. Some are the same but others don't compare with the 25%-40% discounts on The Book Depository :p

Dija So did you cry??!!

message 7: by MISS VAIN (new) - added it

MISS VAIN HAHAHAHA! I love the pic of Johnny Depp from cry baby.:)

Dija Wow. If it got you crying, I'll probably be weeping like a baby. O.O

Anzu The Great Destroyer Loooooooool MV you're mean :p Poor Johnny is crying and you're laughing at him =))))

Yes Dee I have a soft spot for this theme (you'll see when you read) so I couldn't help myself. It wasn't sobbing though. More like the gif I posted :p

message 10: by MISS VAIN (new) - added it

MISS VAIN HAHAHAHA! Anzu I've been obsessed with Johnny Depp since probably before you were born lol, but Cry Baby was the most ridiculous movie ever and it makes me laugh!!!? LOLOLing :)))

message 11: by Anzu (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer I looooooooooooove him :D My fav actor ever :D

I didn't watch the movie and I don't think I will. At least not these days :)) Should I bother with it?

message 12: by MISS VAIN (new) - added it

MISS VAIN No, I didn't watch the whole movie, a few years back a friend of mine loved it and talking me into watching the disaster. I love everything Johnny Depp, but I couldn't even finish it. It was horrible. I just can't even believe he would actually star in that movie, he's better than Cry Baby.

Bipasha{is eviscerated by fiction} Only mine should be eleven stories tall and it would probably be a palm tree.
lolz. nicez.