MoonTea's Reviews > Bar Flower: My Decadently Destructive Days and Nights as a Tokyo Nightclub Hostess

Bar Flower by Lea Jacobson

Aug 05, 11

bookshelves: japanese-culture

Fascinating. She goes into depth relaying the details of Japan’s “Floating World”, and what a sharp contrast it is from life during the day. As an American English teacher living in Japan as well, I could heavily relate to those aspects of culture so different from the west, although here they may be exaggerated by a very bitter woman who hates being told what to do. For a headstrong foreigner I could see how a story like this could easily unfold. I became as addicted to reading about her destructive experiences as she was apparently invested in causing them.

Something I find admirable is that even when surrounded by beautiful women it was her job to compete with, she never appears to be jealous, and I like her honesty. My criticism is that I never got a feel for just who the author IS~ her writing is bland and at times it felt like reading her assigned University paper, but perhaps she prefers to come off as drained of all emotion. Her tone is overtly feminist, from the details she chooses to bring light to about the Japanese way. Yet, it also seems she has a strong infatuation with feeling belittled and dominated by the male society she so learns to manipulate and abhor. This is the modernized “Memoirs of a Geisha”, and plunges deep into a world of night which during the day you would never know exists.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bar Flower.