Feathzzz's Reviews > Quiver

Quiver by Stephanie Spinner

Aug 05, 11

bookshelves: mythology, fantasy, historical-fiction, romance, gender-issues, ancient-history, favorites
Recommended for: Feminist, those interested in mythology
Read on July 30, 2011, read count: 2

Charming. I feel like there's nothing else to say. Very few books can be described so aptly with one word.

Really I don't want to say anything else it seems disingenuous somehow, but I do have more to expand on.

OK, well I've wanted to read this book for a year or two, it sounded just so up my alley, finally I found it in less local library. I was happy but a little dismayed to see the font size in such a skinny spine. I imagined it being longer but when I was done I thought its skinniness and lettering only added to its sweet charm. :P

The story is heavy on plot with simple description. The book never distorts the myth of Alalanta but expands on it creatively with a flavor I thoroughly enjoyed.

I felt a little bashful to read a book that shouted SO blatantly, "Yeah! Revival of the scared feminine!" Especially on reading the blurb, but again, even a little blushing seemed to work with the book.

I also felt a deep interest in it as a myth, simply because I have a fascination with classic linguistics. While reading I was always drawing parallels between it and European fairy tales. The allegory is especially interesting because of its relationship with the culture and history of man.

All this said, I did take a couple of bongs hits before reading this book, (and finishing it in about 2 hours), which might have made it little more fun, but I think it's sweet, interesting, informative still. I'd like to get my own copy to fit snugly into my own bookshelf somewhere.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Quiver.