Jessica's Reviews > Blink and Caution

Blink and Caution by Tim Wynne-Jones

Aug 07, 11

bookshelves: ya-fiction, thriller-and-suspense
Read from August 04 to 05, 2011

Blink is a homeless teen who goes to hotels to get breakfast (he takes the leftover breakfast left outside hotel rooms from room service). While there, he becomes witness to a strange crime, and becomes an accessory to the crime when he picks up the kidnapped CEO's Blackberry. Caution is on the run from her drug dealer boyfriend. These two troubled teens eventually cross paths, and help one another to escape and move on from the horrible events of their pasts.

It's really difficult to describe Blink & Caution, because little bits are added to the story as it goes along, and I wouldn't want to give anything away. It's a very action-oriented story, told in the present tense, with alternating sections told from Blink's and Caution's point of views.

I liked that the two characters were homeless teens, it struck me as a growing reality in our country (and, I suppose Canada, since it takes place in Toronto), and something that a lot of teens can relate to, as well as being ashamed of who they are. I liked the characters well enough, but the story ultimately wasn't as engaging to me as it could have been. It didn't make me want to stay up late to read it; in fact, it was successful in allowing me to fall asleep within 20 pages. Nevertheless, it was well written and I would recommend it to teens who like mystery/thriller-type novels.

Ages 15 and up

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blink and Caution.