Jillian -always aspiring-'s Reviews > Angelfall

Angelfall by Susan Ee

Angelfall. It's pretty amazing how one self-published novel could spread like wildfire through the Goodreads community in only a matter of days...and for the right reasons and not excuses for snark-ridden reviews. There's been a lot of gushing about this book (and some thoughtful criticism as well), so I can't say I'll add anything new to the conversation or word of mouth about this book. But I promised a review, so here it is.

To be honest, reading Angelfall left me in a daze, and I rated it in my dazed state, ready to join the gushing factions and say, "Yes, yes, yes, you need to read it NOW! DO IT NOW, I SAY, OR I'LL SEND THE ANGELS AFTER YOU!" Five stars seemed so appropriate a rating since (a) I really, really enjoyed it and (b) it handled the premise of ambiguous angels in an apocalyptic setting so very, very well. But I didn't rush to write an uber-positive review as I normally do with five-star reads. I let it sit and mulled over my thoughts.

There's no doubt in my mind that Angelfall is very readable and enjoyable, and with it comes a great commercial appeal akin to what made novels like The Hunger Games and even Twilight so popular with legions of YA readers. Angelfall takes something we think we know -- the concept of angels -- and adds new layers and dimensions to them for fictional purposes. I mean, has anyone recently had the guts to write agnostic angels in fiction? Or non-fallen angels not wholly intent on following divine will and purpose? It's mind-boggling simply because no YA author has yet tackled such ideas. Susan Ee has bragging rights for this and may she sue the hell out of any author, self-published or traditionally published, who tries to jump on the bandwagon by "borrowing" her ideas, so of course we YA readers are a little awed by it all.

But. But, at the end of the day, Angelfall is a novel full of so much potential that isn't always wielded to best effect. I'm not saying this novel would have fared better through traditional means (on the contrary, I think it would have gone through edits and rewrites that would have left it without much of the charm and ingenuity it contains in self-published format), but I think that Ee has yet to expand her novel's world and characters to all their potential. This isn't a criticism so much as this thought: "Since she started her story this well, I hope she will keep improving with each novel she writes." There are some authors whom I can be assured of such a thing, but Ee is still new to me and I'm distrustful by nature. I can only hope that the Penryn & the End of Days series will be one that continues to soar and does not eventually crash into the pit of "good series gone bad." Luckily, Angelfall leaves me with enough optimism to say that my pessimistic imagining will likely not occur.

All I can say as I end this review is that I recommend Angelfall for all the things it does well and that I am ecstatically looking forward to owning my own paperback copy of the novel sometime soon. I'll be crossing my fingers and hoping that the majority of you will enjoy it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angelfall.

Quotes Jillian -always aspiring- Liked

Susan Ee
“The logistics of breaking you are easy. The only question is when.”
“Right. If you could do it, you would have done it already.”
“Maybe you entertain me.” He says with supreme confidence as if he’s in control of the situation.
"Like a monkey with an attitude and a pair of scissors.”

Susan Ee
“You," he says, with a dirty look, “don’t deserve salvation.”
"As if you could give it to me,” I croak. “Why would I want to go to Heaven anyway when it’s crammed full of murderers and kidnappers like you and your buddies?”
“Who says I belong in Heaven?”

Susan Ee
“She? You’re not one of those people who name their cars and coffee mugs, are you? It’s an inanimate object. Get over it.”

Susan Ee
“If I was good at marketing, I’d spin you an empty story that sounds profound. But the truth is that we’re all just stumbling around in the dark. Sometimes we hit something terrible.”

Susan Ee
“I wonder which will get you killed faster—your loyalty or your stubbornness?”

Susan Ee
“Angels are violent creatures.”
“So I noticed. I used to think they were all sweet and kind.”
“Why would you think that? Even in your Bible, we’re harbingers of doom, willing and able to destroy entire cities. Just because we sometimes warned one or two of you beforehand doesn’t make us altruistic.”

Susan Ee
“My friends call me Wrath,” says Raffe. “My enemies call me Please Have Mercy. What’s your name, soldier boy?”

Susan Ee
“It is not the gentle kiss of a couple on a first date, nor is it the kiss of a man driven by simple lust. He kisses me with the desperation of a dying man who believes the magic of eternal life is in this kiss.”

Susan Ee
“I've never killed anyone before. What frightens me isn't that I'm killing someone. What frightens me is how easy it is.”

Susan Ee
“We have struck back. We have declared war on any being that dares to think they can wipe us out without a fight. No matter how celestial, no matter how powerful they are, this is our home and we will fight to keep it.”

Susan Ee
“So long as you don't bleed in the shape of wing joints, you should pass for human. Oh, and don't let anyone pick you up. They'll know you're not right as soon as they feel how light you are."

"I'll be sure not to let anyone but you carry me in her arms.”

Susan Ee
“I am an ant in the battlefield of the gods. There's no room for pride or ego, and barely enough room for survival.”

Susan Ee
“Asleep, he looks like a bleeding Prince Charming chained in the dungeon. When I was little, I always thought I’d be Cinderella, but I guess this makes me the wicked witch.
But then again, Cinderella didn’t live in a post-apocalyptic world invaded by avenging angels.”

Susan Ee
“A sense of humor is one more thing I don't think angels should have. The fact that his sense of humor is corny makes it even more wrong.”

Susan Ee
“Anybody that ties you to a chair at gunpoint is a bad guy. Do I really need to explain this?”

Susan Ee
“When you're small enough to have to look up at everyone around you, there's no such thing as a dirty fight. That's a new motto for me. I think I'll keep it.”

Susan Ee
“I never thought about it before, but I'm proud to be human. We're ever so flawed. We're frail, confused, violent, and we struggle with so many issues. But all in all, I'm proud to be a Daughter of Man.”

Susan Ee
“Why were the other angels attacking you?"

"It's impolite to ask the victim of violence what they did to be attacked.”

Susan Ee
“Nothing takes the romance and grandeur out of life than scrubbing stains out of sheets.”

Susan Ee
“It seems to be our fate to continually pass our debt back and forth.”

Susan Ee
“I don't have the luxury of leaning on anyone's strength, least of all an angel's.”

Susan Ee
“Don't let my appearance fool you, Penryn. I am not human. The Daughters of Men are forbidden to Angels.”

Susan Ee
“The thought of superhuman beings with human temptations and flaws sends a chill through me.”

Susan Ee
“Either he's shaken by something or he's falling off the wagon hard and fast. Great. Just my luck to be partnered with an alcoholic angel.”

Susan Ee
“I'm not an actress and I suck at lying. I am also far from being a seductress. It's hard to practice the art of seduction when you're always pushing your kid sister around in her wheelchair. Not to mention that daily jeans and baggy sweatshirt do not a seductress make.”

12/26/2011
25.0% "Many of my Goodreads friends are reading this at the moment, so I decided to join the mass readalong because I've had this book on my Kindle since August. It's very good so far, so much so that I have to wonder why/how it wasn't traditionally published." 4 comments
64.0% "Heh, that was sudden but very swoon-worthy." 2 comments
76.0% "Oh my goodness. An agnostic angel? That is story gold!" 1 comment
12/26/2011
85.0% "*silence* That had to be one of the most horrifying things I've ever read." 10 comments
12/26/2011
100.0% "Darn. I burned a batch of biscuits because I was finishing this book. Worth it, though."

Cait Hahahah I love how many tags you have for this one, but they're all so true! Can't wait to see your review, Jillian!

message 2: by joy (new) - rated it 4 stars

joy *the clean-reader extraordinaire* i love your "recommends it for." sign me up!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm eagerly awaiting your review :).

Rachel Love the review! I agree that Susan totally has bragging rights for her awesome ideas. I also loved that the twists that she included didn't feel contrived or convenient, they actually were shocking. Thanks for the review :)

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Lovely review, Jillian. I certainly hope more people give this book a chance. I was iffy because it's a self-published work, but Ee may very well redeem the title of "self-published author". I'm very excited to see where the story goes.

Wendy Darling I'm glad you enjoyed it, Jillian. Can't wait for the sequel!

Amber Jillian I love all of your shelves!

BTW I bought this book a few days ago and my nook is telling me that it's almost 1500 pages....is that right? >.>

Amber Aha, well that makes more sense than it being 1500 pages! THanks for the info, I'll just have to soldier it through! :p

message 9: by Christina (new) - added it

Christina Wilder It's pretty amazing how one self-published novel could spread like wildfire through the Goodreads community in only a matter of days...and for the right reasons and not excuses for snark-ridden reviews.

This made me so happy. For all the shitty things that go on in GR, it's reviews like this that make up for it.

Matildaatwar Completely agree to everything you've said

Jess (AKA shortstuff) I agree, from the reviews I've read, everyone loves this book! I can't wait until I'm 16 so I can read it! ;)