Jess (Gone with the Words)'s Reviews > The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith

Jan 19, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, read-2012
Read on January 14, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Read this review on my blog! --> The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith

I always wonder how much of our lives is due to coincidences and how much is due to fate. They always seem to be working together though. And this book is full of the two, which makes for a very lovely book.

Hadley and Oliver’s chemistry is undeniable from the moment they sit and talk. They simply seem as if they’ve known each other for years. I enjoyed their banter to no ends. I was smiling so much my cheeks started to hurt. Of course, it wouldn’t be a true love story without some obstacles or trials or some other damper, and these two have it happen all in a 24 hour period. And I was afraid they would not get what they hoped for in the end.

He laughs. "Marriage: for when everything sucks."

"Seriously," Hadley insists. "How else do you know that it means something? Unless someone's there to hold your hand during the bad times?"

"So that's it?" Oliver says. "No wedding, no marriage, just someone there to hold your hand when things are rough?"

"That's it," she says with a nod. – pg. 51

One thing made very clear in this book, is that love is complicated and when it happens, it’s unavoidable. You may not be out looking for it, but if it’s meant to happen, it will...with or without your consent. This plays into not only Hadley and Oliver’s relationship, but also that of her parents. Hadley is still upset about her parent’s divorce, primarily at her dad, who was the one to leave and is now getting remarried. The moments between Hadley and her father really touched me. I’ll even admit to shedding a few tears. It really tore me up to see how if she would just talk to her dad, a lot of her angst about him would be resolved.

But Hadley understood. It wasn't that she was meant to read them all. Maybe someday she would, but for now, it was more the gesture itself. He was giving her the most important thing he could, the only way he knew how. He was a professor, a lover of stories, and he was building her a library in the same way other men might build their daughters houses. – pg. 153

This book packed a lot of emotion in so few pages and in only a 24 hour period. But it was just the good, cleanse-your-soul-and-be-happy kind of read I needed. I look forward to reading a lot more from Jennifer E. Smith in the future. Especially if her books will leave my heart feeling so light.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight.

Quotes Jess (Gone with the Words) Liked

Jennifer E. Smith
“It's not the changes that will break your heart; it's that tug of familiarity.”

Jennifer E. Smith
“Love is the strangest, most illogical thing in the world.”
tags: love

Jennifer E. Smith
“People who meet in airports are seventy-two percent more likely to fall for each other than people who meet anywhere else.”

Jennifer E. Smith
“What are you really studying?"
He leans back to look at her. "The statistical probability of love at first sight.”

Jennifer E. Smith
“He was a professor, a lover of stories, and he was building her a library in the same way other men might build their daughters houses.”

01/14/2012 page 1
0.0% "#boutofbooks Book 3!"
01/14/2012 page 105
44.0% "#boutofbooks"
01/14/2012 page 236
100.0% "#boutofbooks Finished book 3!"