C's Reviews > Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption

Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

Aug 04, 2011

bookshelves: non-fiction-adult, book-suggestions, audiobooks, the-human-experience

I'd give it 10 stars if I could. I liked it that much. While I was on the second half of this book, I started it over again with my husband to listen to while we were stuck in traffic. It is no less engaging the second time around.

I was listening to it during runs and hikes, then progressed to listening to it here, there, everywhere just so I could hear more. It is so well done, and so worth reading. If you are expecting a dry, dull narrative in age tinted black and white, you could not be more wrong. If the idea of sitting down to read non-fiction leaves you cold, opt for the audiobook narrated by Edward Herrmann. He's very wonderful to listen to.

We need more books like this. Not just the "adventure" aspect of it, though none of that adventure was solicited by the people who lived it... but Hillenbrand's engaging narrative style that brings history to life. I hope to see more from her & I can't imagine it will be too long before a movie is made out of this one, too.

It also made me realize in the subtext that a huge chunk of our culture's history and our storytelling abilities are being lost. I remember wanting to stay up, as a kid, and sit around the table when my parents had guests, so I could hear the stories from their childhood and teens. Around family gatherings with my inlaws over the last 10 years, I've seen this happen only once.

With every person we lose - either through death or through the connections of family and friendship ties, we lose history and dozens - hundreds - of stories that humanize us and draw us together. We have so much escapism - it is glorified today - but non-fiction and narratives like these should be sought out and devoured. Escapism shows us where we wish we could be. Non-fiction history shows us where we've been, and where we could be again if we ignore it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unbroken.

message 1: by Dme (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dme I would agree. This book is absolutely incredible. It would indeed be worthy of ten stars. I could not put it down after the first page.

Gemma Love your review! I was wondering if you could tell me if this book's alright for age twelve?