Amanda's Reviews > The Poison Diaries

The Poison Diaries by Maryrose Wood

F_50x66
Aug 04, 11

The Poison Diaries tells the story of young Jessamine, an innocent young woman who has spent her entire life isolated from the world in her father's cottage with little else beside her garden to keep her company. Jessamine's father is the local healer, a master of herbal cures and poisons concocted from plants. When Weed, a mysterious young man who claims he can talk to plants, comes to live with Jessamine and her father, an expected romance blooms between the two. However, after Jessamine falls ill, it's up to Weed to use his knowledge of poisons, and his supernatural skills, to save her.

This novel is pretty much summed in the above paragraph -it's incredibly simple and well, certainly not too original. The basic plot is a romance turned into a "save the girl" scenario, which I found to be boring and well, not quite what I expected after I read the summary. I guess I was hoping for a heroine who is not quite such a damsel in distress, but instead Jessamine is very passive and fairly uninteresting. Plus, near the end of the novel the story shifts to focus more on Weed than on Jessamine.

That brings me to another issue I had with this novel. The action is incredibly uneven and there is virtually no conflict for the majority of the story. For about the first 200 pages readers learn about the growing romance between Jessamine and Weed with virtually no conflict until there is one tiny blurb of concern with the father -which is quickly waved away barely 10 pages later.

The last seventy-ish pages of the book is where things final start to get interesting. The point of view, which had been first-person through the eyes of Jessamine to this point, suddenly shifts to first-person through the eyes of Weed, which is confusing and jarring to the reader. However, this change fuels an interesting and unexpected twist at the end that nearly saves the novel.

Obviously written as the first installment in a series, The Poison Diaries is ideal for young adult paranormal romance readers, and particularly for fans of Twilight, but it just didn't work for me with its overdone cliche concepts and overly simply plot.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Poison Diaries.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Poison  Diaries As someone who has shown an interest in the Poison Diaries & to celebrate the release of Nightshade, book 2 in the trilogy, (UK Sept/ USA Oct) we are giving the first chapter away for free plus the first 100 to sign up get some free Poisonous treasures. http://bit.ly/nightshadegiveaway love Poison Diaries HQ x

PS. Apologies if you already received this on the Nightshade page.
Join in the conversation & talk to us on Facebook & Twitter /poisondiaries.