Amanda's Reviews > Android Karenina

Android Karenina by Ben H. Winters

F_50x66
May 24, 12

I admit that I've never read Leo Tolstoy's classic Anna Karenina. I did, however, get to see a theatrical version put on by my high school's drama department. I don't remember much about the plot itself -only that the entire thing was incredibly dreary, dramatic and well, depressing. What is it with Russian literature and being super-long and super-depressing? Maybe it had something to do with living in such a cold, dark country. Anyway, up until now, this was my entire relationship with Tolstoy and Russian literature, so I was hoping that the genuineness at Quirk could inject some exciting new life into the story and make it into something I would actually want to read (even though I found Tolstoy to be a somewhat odd choice for a mash-up).

Sense and Sensibility co-author Ben H. Winters doesn't disappoint. He continues the Quirk tradition with as much irrelevant silliness that the name suggests. In Android Karenina, Winters mixes the tumultuous Russian tale of Anna Karenina with a steampunk-inspired version of 19th century Russia with, most notably, robots. And of course, every fashionable member of society has one. Android Karenina is Anna Karenina's personal Class III robot. Along with her mistress, the Android must navigate the waters of betrayal, jealously, lust and the scandalous affairs of the nobility, all the while dealing with a colorful backdrop of robots, spaceships and all kinds of futuristic technology.

If you enjoyed the earlier Quirk novels, then you'll just devour Android Karenina and all its robot-y goodness. Admittedly, it may be a little more difficult for new converts, especially since Anna Karenina is not as well known as Pride and Prejudice or Sense and Sensibility (not to mention a little overly-long). However, I do have to give Quirk credit for trying something so unexpected and daring.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Android Karenina.