Benjamin Siess's Reviews > Possible Side Effects

Possible Side Effects by Augusten Burroughs

M_50x66
Aug 04, 11

In "Running With Scissors", I flat out didn't believe Burroughs. I felt that his story was probably 50% true. There is nothing wrong with someone writing a memoir and stretching the truth, but I couldn't shake the feeling that he was flat out lying. Along with his horrifyingly vivid description of his early teen sexual experience with a 30 year old man, I felt like he was trying to hard to be shocking for the sake of being shocking. I enjoyed his style, but I had a hard time respecting him.

In "Possible Side Effects", it seemed that Burroughs didn't try to force things. He has stories that don't rely on overly fantastic situations. He leans upon his writing instead of the situations he puts himself in and I think the book benefitted greatly for it.

I made the mistake of reading "GWF seeks same" during my Latin class. My instructer was at the board translating sentences as I tried my damndest to supress giggles in the back of the class. It was definitely the best essay in the book in my opinion.

"PSE" reads fast. If you didn't like "RWS", don't give up on the Burroughs. "Possible Side Effects" isn't a great book, but I definitely liked it. I hear that "Magical Thinking" is his best book yet, so that'll be the next one I try.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Possible Side Effects.