Amanda's Reviews > Cast in Shadow

Cast in Shadow by Michelle Sagara

F_50x66
Aug 04, 11

Young Kaylin left her home to find protection in the ranks of the Hawks, a type of peacekeeping, almost police-like force in Elantra. Sadly, she finds that she's not very good at magic, generally fails classes and is cursed with a strange gift that ties her to the past she tried to run away from. When the Elantran authorities investigate Kaylin further, her past returns and Kaylin is forced to unravel the mystery behind her strange past.

Cast in Shadow sounds like a typical high fantasy novel with a butt-kicking heroine -and it pretty much is. The story, overall, was enjoyable and entertaining; I kept reading up until the very end. While the plot itself and characters are hardly original, the world of Elantra was really interesting to learn about and I enjoyed some of the secondary characters quite a bit. Sagara has a gift for fun, believable dialogue and has a great writing style that captures just enough of the novel to give the reader a picture of the world without overdoing the detail.

So, with all these glowing remarks, why not more stars? Well...Cast in Shadow was "good" not "great." The originality was a little lacking for me and at points it felt like the characters sat around and talked too much. I was also was hoping that Kaylin would get a little more interesting, but she ended up being one of my least favorite characters in the book.

I think this series has great potential to be even better in future installments. Heck, I'm interested enough to pick up book 2, so that's saying something.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cast in Shadow.