Amanda's Reviews > Undone

Undone by Rachel Caine

F 50x66
Aug 04, 11

liked it

I was excited when I saw that Rachel Caine was doing something aside from the Weather Warden series but still in the same universe.

This time, the reader is introduced to former Djinn Cassiel (not Cassie), who suddenly finds herself powerless and cast out from the only life she has know. Undone begins with Cassiel's introduction to Caine's well-known characters from the Weather Warden series -Joanne, David, Lewis and others. After being forced to cope with her new mortal existence, Cassiel is sent off with Earth Warden Luis to start a new life.

Undone is everything that fans of Caine's Weather Warden series -it's filled with plenty of action, fronted by a butt-kicking heroine and has enough twists and turns to keep readers interested. Caine's style is still as masterful as in the previous series, but something about Undone feels a little stilted and tired. Most likely this is due Cassiel's seemingly flat, emotionless character. While her lack of understanding humanity makes sense, it makes her exceeding less accessible (and generally less enjoyable) than Joanne. Also, since this series takes place in the same universe as Weather Warden, there is very little here that feels new. Nothing amazingly different about the world is revealed and while learning more about the Djinn was kind of interesting, it wasn't compelling enough for me that it could launch a new series completely.

Sadly, Undone made me wish for more adventures of Warden Joanne Baldwin, as well as something more original from Rachel Caine. While Caine has created an amazing and vivid universe here, it seems like it's been just a little too exhausted and could use a rest.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Undone.