Sandy's Reviews > Thirteen Reasons Why

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Aug 04, 2011

bookshelves: favorite, own, ya
Read in August, 2011

Wow! I loved this book! Clay comes home from school and she finds a mystery package on her porch and then discovers it is a set of cassette tapes from Hannah. Hannah had committed suicide a couple of days ago and left the tapes with detailed instructions on what to do with the tapes and why Clay had received them. Clay goes through a mix of emotion as she relives in detail what Hannah left on the tapes and she uncovers things about herself and others she never knew.

I know the subject of suicide is not a popular subject but it is reality. I loved the way Asher made me connect with all the characters and they seemed so real and like some of the students you hear about or remember from school. You have to be able to switch from living in the present of Clay's world to listening to Hannah's cassette tapes (which Asher puts in italics) but I had no problem as he did a wonderful job. I can't say enough about this book and I am anxious to see other books by Asher.

In reading this book, it made me realize again that life is too short not to enjoy it and try to make a difference and that every day, a smile or a hello can make a world of a difference. Great read!!!

Check out the website when you are done reading the book, the recordings of the tapes are on there and they are good.

message 1: by Janine (new) - added it

Janine Great review. I am starting it tonight.

Sandy Thank you! I hope you like it. It has always been one of my favorites. Let me know what you think of it.