Sally Al Haq's Reviews > The Gin Closet

The Gin Closet by Leslie Jamison

2022153
Aug 12, 2011

Read from August 04 to 12, 2011

It wasn't that simple to read this novel; It's painful and Heartbreaking; Leslie Jamison captured a so goddamn harsh moments; an old woman dying, a depressed woman drinking herself to the death, an unhappy young lady "looking for a meaning to make her life a good story to be told, to make her life to be deserved to be lived by helping others, by making their lives easy", and the lonely Abe, even Dora; the successful symbol in the novel wasn't that happy with her life!!!
When I think about Matilda; I see her as a woman having a passion for self-destruction! I hated it; seeing her life going to the wrong direction n every time!!
What I really liked in this novel; It's femininity, I don't think that a man can write about the abortion like Leslie did!! and once Stella said: HOW MUCH IT HURT TO BE A WOMAN!
I think this novel's main theme was SELF DESTRUCTION and the result of it: PAIN!
The only time I laughed while reading was when Dora said to Stella : Why make foreign countries better when you can help foreigners come here instead?!
I think Tilly left her son's home because she might found it so terrible to be helped! she hated it all!
The existence of characters like Daro ,Toledo, and Winnie played a good role!
I liked her writing about body, and remembering Lucy's dying body even after sex!
It gave me a hard time reading it and I like this!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gin Closet.