Lisa K's Reviews > Blow Me

Blow Me by Lennie Ross

Aug 06, 11

bookshelves: reviewed
Read from August 04 to 05, 2011

Blow me is a quick read that balances on the edge of fun/interesting and meh. Like many books, it had it’s highs and lows and having finished, I’m not really sure where I stand… The writing was great. It kept a nice light hearted tone while touching on many of the issues single woman face as they get older: infertility, loneliness and dating in a world that seems to be completely focused on age. And I loved how the setting, LA, was used to highlight the problems and show off each woman’s mistakes before helping them through it. Ross really brought LA to life in my mind! I think my main problem with this book isn’t any fault of the writer: I’m 22 and happily boyfriended up. I couldn’t really relate to the problems of a group of single 40-ish women, even if they were astonishingly immature at times.

My other issue was with the characters themselves. I know that in real life, no one is perfect… I’m sure as hell not! But I spent a good 75% of the book being annoyed with each character in turn. By the end of the book, I wanted to slap Chloe and was very, very grateful that her role was small. And while I liked Dawn the most, Skye was, for me, the most interesting of the bunch. At some point I went from hating her to appreciating her. She was foolish and silly, but by the end the author had really given her a chance to grow, always a sign of a good writer I think!

Overall, a decent read. I wouldn’t say this is a book for everyone but would recommend it to those who like a more meaningful chick lit read or have an interest in the life of LA.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blow Me.