Vicky's Reviews > Gods Behaving Badly

Gods Behaving Badly by Marie Phillips

2044729
Aug 25, 14

bookshelves: own-book, 1book140, zz-british-author, mythology, humor, favorites, setting-england, zzz-temp-color, series-standalone
Read from August 07 to September 04, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Gods Behaving Badly was voted as the August beach read for 1book140 (The Atlantic's Twitter Bookclub), so I had never heard of it and had no idea what to expect when I picked it up.

I loved it, though I should probably mention that I have a severe soft spot for fiction based on any ancient group of gods.

The characterization of the Gods in the 21st century was hysterical - Artemis is a dog walker and Aphrodite is a phone sex operator. Ares was one of my favorites. Though he plays a minor role in the novel, he says things like "There's always Russia, but they've been harder to provoke since the end of the Cold War." and got a laugh out of me every time.

As in any Greek myth, you need a hero. Phillips' mortal hero was a nerd, and I loved him. He loved board games, and organized his DVD collection in chronological order of purchase to better observe his "developing tastes." He was great.

There is a bit of dirty humor, especially in the Apollo-Aphrodite relationship and Aphrodite's constant teasing of Artemis (being the virgin God). I found both hysterical in the books context, but it may not be for everyone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gods Behaving Badly.

Quotes Vicky Liked

“Just shut up. Shut the fuck up, you stupid, uptight, don't drink, don't smoke, don't fuck, don't do anything that might almost be interpreted as fun, sanctimonious little fucking virgin. Fuck, fuck, fucking fuck, I've had enough. I'm not going to this fucking meeting, I don't care what happens to the fucking family, you can tell Athena what the fuck you like, just as long as you get out of my fucking face and stay out of it. - Apollo”
Marie Phillips, Gods Behaving Badly

“Apollo wanted out. Out of Aphrodite, out of this bathroom, out of this house, and out of this life.”
Marie Phillips, Gods Behaving Badly

“Mmm," said Ares, without turning his head. "This war on terror isn't producing enough casualties. Bringing in Iran is the obvious choice, but I don't think they've got enough fire power yet. I wonder if I could somehow antagonize Japan."
...
"There's always Russia," said Ares, "but they've been harder to provoke since the end of the Cold War. Why are mortals so hung up on peace?" He shuffled through his papers. "Or maybe it's time to broaden out some of the African civil wars?”
tags: humor, war

08/07/2011 page 44
15.0% "Reading this book for 1book140, The Atlantic's Twitter Bookclub. Loving it so far! :)"
show 2 hidden updates…