Sybil Nelson's Reviews > A Dead Man's Debt

A Dead Man's Debt by Grace Elliot

Aug 04, 2011

Read in August, 2011

I am a huge fan of historical romance which, admittedly, is a little odd for a 30 year-old black woman. But I can’t help it. Even in high school I was completely addicted to Jane Austen, Thomas Hardy, the Bronte sisters and Shakespeare. Even now, one of my favorite authors is Philippa Gregory. This is probably why I completely adored A Dead Man’s Debt by new author Grace Elliot. It was like a Jane Austenish romance with an amazing addition of a palpable combination of tension and passion. I was riveted to my Nook reader from the beginning of this book and couldn’t put it down. I can’t wait for her next work of fiction.

Ranulf and Celeste are very sympathetic main characters. They both feel constrained by society's mandates. Ranulf's passion is painting yet he is unable to pursue it since earning a wage would bring disgrace on his noble family. Celeste refuses to marry as she doesn't want to be become a simple baby-maker stuck in a loveless marriage. She wants to travel the world and have a life of excitement. And she's willing to do it alone. Ranulf and Celeste's attraction is strong and instant. They are the answer to each other's dreams and the perfect pair. But, of course, their happiness is sabotaged by an insidious blackmail scheme. In order to protect the family name and hide the gambling debts accrued by his dead brother, Ranulf is forced to let Celeste go and become engaged to another. Fortunately, Ranulf and Celeste are such strong characters that they don't give up quite so easily.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who is a fan of romance or period pieces. You can purchase from Amazon or from Solstice Publishing

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Dead Man's Debt.