Dalton Lynne's Reviews > Down the Rabbit Hole

Down the Rabbit Hole by Peter Abrahams

5961967
Aug 04, 11

Read in January, 2011

Overall, this was a pretty good book, but I have to preface this review with a confession: when I delve into YA fiction, I expect it to match the excellent work of J.K. Rowling. I think Harry Potter spoiled me somewhat.

Anyway, I found myself really enjoying this first installment in the Echo Falls series. The characters and writing style appealed to me, and I look forward to returning for more in the books that follow. The only reason I had to notch a star off the review was because I knew immediately who the killer was the moment the character was introduced, and the red-herring was ineffective. In fact, I figured out the entire plot early on, once all pertinent characters had been mentioned or brought onto the scene. Perhaps it's because I've read so many mysteries that I can often spot the 'bad guy', or maybe it was that the author toned down plot complexity because this is, after all, a YA book. But so was Harry Potter. See what I mean? I've been spoiled.

There was one particular scene in the book that really disturbed me and I felt that it wasn't properly resolved. MINOR SPOILER ALERT: the scene revolved around an episode of sibling violence (which came across as particularly bad because it involved a male teen punching his younger, smaller sister). It wasn't horrific or anything like that, but it felt out of place.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Down the Rabbit Hole.