Natalie Wickham's Reviews > Choosing to SEE

Choosing to SEE by Mary Beth Chapman

Aug 04, 11

bookshelves: biography-autobiography, christian-living
Read in June, 2011

I remember hearing about this book almost as soon as it came out and have been eagerly anticipating reading it ever since. Having heard of the tragic accidental death of the Chapman’s little adopted Chinese daughter when it happened, I knew the Mary Beth’s story would be heartfelt and insightful. I was not disappointed on either count. Mary Beth’s style of writing is very real and personable. It has you laughing one minute, gasping the next, and then wiping tears from your eyes. But in it all, she points the reader continually to Jesus Christ and His sufficiency in every situation.

The aspect of the story that was mostly indelibly impressed upon my heart was the emotional openness that the Chapman’s exhibited, especially in regard to their son, Will, who was responsible for the accidental death of his little sister. They didn’t downplay it or brush it under the rug, assuming he would get over it on his own. Instead they talked about it openly, encouraged the support and prayers of friends, and acknowledged how incredibly difficult it would be for him to get past the experience. In a day when so many Christians plaster on a smile and pretend like everything is okay, it was both refreshing and convicting to see the value in an emotional openness that is honest about our deep inner struggles. For in the vulnerability of this openness, we are also enabled to receive the comfort, love, and support we need from the Lord and His people.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Choosing to SEE.