Gary Sudeth's Reviews > The Communist Manifesto

The Communist Manifesto by Karl Marx

Aug 04, 11

Originally read this 50+ years ago - yes, I was 12 and read such things then -but, in recent times the echoes of Marx's words seem to be everywhere; so, I reread it. As literature it is poor. Marx was an economist, although this work was written as a PR piece to distinguish the German Communist League from a number of other Communist groups in Europe competing for the workers' attention. Marx detested sloganeering, which was the prevalent messaging technique at that time, although this work is replete with slogans. Marx included slogans because he didn't believe the people he intended to benefit from his theories - the workers - would understand what he was trying to say, otherwise. In fact, Marx believed that the workers - the proletariat - if left to themselves would become bourgeois - oppressors, under his theory. As for why I reread it; the slogans I hear in the rallies in Madison, WI, Columbus, OH and other places "workers" are clamoring for "their rights" were written by Marx and Engels in 1848.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Communist Manifesto.