Heidi's Reviews > The Linen Queen

The Linen Queen by Patricia Falvey

5711926
Aug 04, 2011

Read in July, 2011

This book is Patricia's Falvey's new Irish Historical Novel. It takes place in the same town as "Yellow House" 40 or so years later. Sheila McGee, like her previous protagonist is a mill worker in Northern Ireland, but this time the backdrop is the start of World War II. Her mother is a jerk, her father abandoned her at aged 10 and she desperately wants to get out of Ireland. What she doesn't realize is that it's not Ireland she hates but her situation in Ireland. She signs up for the 'Linen Queen' pageant which is Ireland's annual tribute to a pretty mill girl. She hopes that the prize money will help her escape her dreary life.

Her best guy friend from childhood who is an IRA supporter and a Jewish-American soldier (yep...makes for some interesting reading for sure!) are vying for her affections and leave her entirely confused about love and life.

I dont want to give away the story but it is a delightful read. I really had never read anything about Ireland's role in the War and how the Allied soldiers were received there.

Sheila is a complex character (as are all Falvey's characters) and isn't even very likeable at times.

I give the book 4 stars. If you liked Galway Bay and Yellow House (which I have book notes on as well) you will love this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Linen Queen.