Jason's Reviews > The Wave: In Pursuit of the Rogues, Freaks, and Giants of the Ocean

The Wave by Susan Casey

M_50x66
Aug 04, 11

I had high hopes for this book, but you'll get sucked into the majesty of big wave / tow surfing in one chapter only to be bored to sleep with a chapter on the science of waves. It took me months to finish this book because once I hit a "science" chapter, I'd put the book down for a few days or weeks because I just didn't want to deal with it. The author also drones on and on about climate change and global warming to the point where I just stopped caring about it. She seemed to blame anything and everyone on climate change, BUT didn't offer any solutions on how to combat it. Don't alert me to what's wrong with world and then don't offer me any way to change my lifestyle. OK, so the burning of fossil fuels is bad, BUT all the surfers and wave researchers (who want to stop global warming) burn more gas than the average person flying around the world in airplanes, driving gas guzzling SUV's and jet skis. This book would have been AWESOME if you just read the chapters on Laird Hamilton and the rest of the tow surfing community and skipped the chapters about the science and mathematics of wave theory and global warming.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wave.