Laura's Reviews > Ghosts! Washington Revisited: The Ghostlore of the Nation's Capitol

Ghosts! Washington Revisited by John H. Alexander

Aug 11, 11

bookshelves: nonfiction
Read from August 04 to 11, 2011

I got this book for my trip to Washington, DC. Unfortunately, weight limits on luggage prevented me from taking it on the trip.

I began reading it upon my return and I still found it interesting. I was now familiar with DC and I understood the locations better. I'd visited surprisingly few of the locations in the book; if/when I next go to DC, I'll have new places to go. (The maps at the end will be very helpful.)

From the get-go, I've disliked the cover page. Although I could understand the ghostly/burning building on the cover, I was confused by the face. What the heck is that? What does it pertain to? The answer wasn't provided until near the end of the book and I still wonder how that statue got rendered so horribly and then placed on the cover.

The stories are a mix of first-person accounts, newspaper accounts, third-hand accounts, and rumors and legends. Some of the stories left me with more questions. Some stories seemed just that: stories. But some were intriguing.

I'd recommend this book for those who enjoy a blending of fact with fiction. There's a lot of real history in this book about ghosts.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ghosts! Washington Revisited.

Quotes Laura Liked

“The popular notion that ghosts are likely to be seen in a graveyard is not borne out by psychical research... A haunting ghost usually haunts a place that a person lived in or frequented while alive... Only a gravedigger's ghost would be likely to haunt a graveyard.”
John H. Alexander, Ghosts! Washington Revisited: The Ghostlore of the Nation's Capitol