K.A.'s Reviews > Spellcast

Spellcast by Barbara Ashford

Aug 08, 11

bookshelves: magical-realism
Read from August 04 to 07, 2011

Not being a big fan of musical theatre, I wasn't expecting to really like Spellcast but after winning a copy, and reading good reviews from another author I admire, I decided to read it. I am so glad I did. The magical elements in Spellcast are subtle at times but the real thrust of the story is more about love and redemption than the world of faerie (although the touches we are given are fresh and interesting). Ashford skillfully weaves the stories of Maggie, working at a summer theatre in Vermont after being let go from her job in New York, and Rowan, the mysterious director, along with a fun cast of minor characters. Maggie's story - one of finding herself, finding the truth about her father, and coming to terms with her relationships with her mother - is at times heartbreaking but is resolved satisfactorily with a refreshing lack of saccharine sweetness. Maggie's relationship with Rowan, which takes twists and turns, definitely goes the way of the unexpected as does the resolution of Rowan's story line. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and recommend it to anyone looking to read magical realism with some romantic elements.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spellcast.