Eric's Reviews > Paranormalcy

Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

Oh how I struggled with 3-4 stars on this one. I know for a fact most of my brain was thinking "oh hell no you can't give it the same rating as Fallen!" which is kind of sad. This was a much better story, characters actually lived throughout the pages, oh and I didn't want to slit my wrists thinking about how pointless the good vs (not so) evil fight was pretty much every 5 minutes of listening.

I did like this book but it did have a couple faults. There was a lot of weirdness with the lack of exposure Evie had and frankly there are times where I remember I in fact am not a female - some of those uber girl crushing moments are lost on me.

The story was decent. Evie's not an idiot. She's young but again not an idiot. It didn't take her a million pages to figure out what was going on and she has just enough indecision when it mattered to make the read worthwhile.

Really it's cute and funny and I loved it for that. Also I do love that snarkiness. Overall it does exactly as advertised and for that I am grateful. I had enough moments where I went through the emotional gauntlet coming out on the otherwise enjoying the ride. I'm hoping that we at least stick to the same formula for the next book. I'm looking forward to it.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paranormalcy.

Limonessa I didn't love this book as much as everybody else did either. And even though last time I checked I was a female, the uber girl crushing moment were lost on me too.

Eric For reals I thought all girls would just swoon all over when they met that perfect waterboy ;-)

Limonessa I seriously find his name ridiculous. Now, only when you read the FEVER series and meet Barrons we can start talking about perfect. But that's not YA anymore, ops.

message 4: by Eric (last edited Aug 05, 2011 07:24AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eric You know I've never read a book thinking about how "perfect" a female is, not gonna lie, kinda curious - is it just me or most males like that. I mean it's all wish fulfillment and I guess really if I wanted to find perfect there are many other avenues but its really the character that gets me, what they do with their world, that makes it interesting.

Oh and I really think Lend is a terrible name too - did his parents really think it was clever as a baby? I've heard a ton of ludicrous names out there but really she could've been a bit more classy.

Limonessa You know women look for the perfect book crush, rathen than the perfect man. We like to swoon, don't we? I mean, think about Mr. Darcy :D

message 6: by Eric (last edited Aug 05, 2011 07:46AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eric Pssh and I don't!? I mean there are times... oh lord there are times but really escapism is nice but once I'm done with the pages :: sadface ::

Come of think of it I envy most characters friends - not the romantic relationships.

Limonessa You're not alone!
That's why we are all always on the hunt for the next best book...