Darlene's Reviews > Think: Straight Talk for Women to Stay Smart in a Dumbed-Down World

Think by Lisa Bloom

Aug 10, 11

Read from August 04 to 10, 2011

I have admired attorney Lisa Bloom for many years. I have enjoyed her commentary on various trials covered on Court-TV. When I discovered that she had written a book about one of my pet peeves.. the dumbing down of our society (women in particular), I couldn't wait to read it!! Ms. Bloom wrote this book exactly as she speaks and I very much enjoyed it. I was astonished by some of the statistics she provided.. especially about plastic surgery and the lengths women go to to change their bodies. I was frustrated when I read the statistics about just how little reading people actually do after their formal schooling is complete.. unless you count the tabloids and celebrity gossip websites! My favorite section in the book was the one in which Ms. Bloom added her recommended reading list. I have added many of her recommendations to my own list and was happy to see that she had read many of the books I have read.

This was a terrific book and I think it should be required reading by all women!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Think.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nick (new)

Nick Duretta Hi Darlene. This sounds like an interesting book (I've never heard of the author). Maybe it's just the social circles I'm part of, but the most intelligent people I know tend to be women. But then I see Michelle Bachmann and Sarah Palin and think, oh my God. I think, overall, there's a "dumbing-down" of everyone in this country, a concerted effort to distract people from critical thinking by bombarding them with mindless entertainment "news" and loud, scary soundbytes passed off as "facts." Sorry -- that's more of a rant than I usually dispense!

Darlene Hi Nick! That's funny.. I am the exact opposite of you... the most intelligent people I know seem to be men!! Honestly though, most of my friends tend to be men so that's probably why it seems that way. But I agree with you... there is a definite 'dumbing down' of everyone in this country. And I love your rants! Keep 'em coming!:)

Sarah Beth This was a great book. Thanks for yout review.