Dr. Ben's Reviews > Feed

Feed by Mira Grant

Oct 13, 11

Read from October 06 to 12, 2011

While not quite the pinnacle of zombie fiction that Max Brooks's World War Z is, Feed is a gripping and downright awesome tale of politics, news, and zombies. Zombies are definitely a focus of the book, but at the same time they're a background tale to the actual plot, wherein a group of dedicated bloggers dig deep into a dangerous news segment. Mira Grant has created a world that requires some amount of suspension of disbelief but is, at the same time, incredibly well-constructed and real-feeling. She avoids the usual "Oh it's an infection that we don't understand" or "there's no reason, just zombies" explanations for zombie-ism and actually comes up with a solid, well-thought-out scenario from whence the infection began and how it developed. To someone with no medical knowledge (that's me!) it sounded plausible enough, though obviously I think that it's probably entirely unrealistic if you actually know anything about medicine. Even so, she sells her concept of the zombie-disease well, and also builds a believable USA that is stifled by fear and filled with isolationism and paranoia from the disease outbreak. Toward the end of the book, I was enthralled and loathe to put it down as the plot thickened and twisted in sometimes gut-punching ways. I'm definitely sold on this trilogy and will be digging into Deadline soon.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Feed.

Quotes Dr. Ben Liked

Mira Grant
“Every life has a watershed moment, an instant when you realize you're about to make a choice that will define everything else you ever do, and that if you choose wrong, there may not be that many things left to choose. Sometimes the wrong choice is the only one that lets you face the end with dignity, grace, and the awareness that you're doing the right thing.
I'm not sure we can recognize those moments until they've passed us.”

Mira Grant
“...although I had to admit a certain affection for the Mattel booth advertising Urban Survival Barbie, now with her own Machete and blood testing unit.”

Mira Grant
“You can't kill the truth.”

Mira Grant
“Sometimes in the news, "luck" is just a matter of "capitalizing on someone else's pain.”

Mira Grant
“There was no warning before the outbreaks began. One day, things were normal; the next, people who were supposedly dead were getting up and attacking anything that came into range. This was upsetting for everyone involved, except for the infected, who were past being upset about that sort of thing.”

Mira Grant
“We have speed, and we have bullets. Everything else about this fight is in their favor.”

Mira Grant
“When you’re being chased by zombies, hills are either your best friends or your burial ground. The slope slows them down, which is great, unless you hit the peak and find out that you’re surrounded, with nowhere left to run to.”

Mira Grant
“I heard all three bolts click home. Even if I screamed, they’d never let me back inside. That’s the protocol when you’re in the field. No matter how loudly you yell, they never let you in. Not if they want to live, anyway.”

Mira Grant
“The garage door slid open as we pulled into the driveway, registering the sensors Shaun and I wear around our neck. In case of viral amplification, the garage becomes the zombie equivalent of a roach motel: Our sensors get us in, but only a clean blood test and a successful voice check gets us out. If we ever fail those tests, we’ll be incinerated by the house defense system before we can do any further damage.”

Mira Grant
“One thing I did learn from those classes is that the world is not, in any way, what people expected thirty years ago. The zombies are here, and they’re not going away, but they’re not the story. They were, for one hot, horrible summer at the beginning of the century, but now they’re just another piece of the way things work. They did their part: They changed everything.”

Mira Grant
“The rest of the question-and-answer period was pretty standard stuff, with a few hardballs thrown in just to keep things interesting. Where did the senator stand on the death penalty? Given that most corpses tended to get up and try to eat folks, he didn’t see it as a productive pursuit. What was his opinion on public health care? Failure to keep people healthy enough to stay alive bordered on criminal negligence. Was he prepared to face the ongoing challenges of disaster preparedness? After the mass reanimations following the explosions in San Diego, he couldn’t imagine any presidency surviving without improved disaster planning.”

Mira Grant
“There will always be people for whom hate is easier when it’s not backed up by anything but fear.”

Mira Grant
“We are a nation equally afraid of gathering together and being alone.”

Mira Grant
“There comes a point when you need to get over the fear and get on with your life, and a lot of people don’t seem to be capable of that anymore. From blood tests to gated communities, we have embraced the cult of fear, and now we don’t seem to know how to put it back where it belongs.”

Mira Grant
“...The CDC has also said that it’s virtually impossible to tell a murder victim killed by a shot to the head or spinal column from an infected individual put down legally in the same fashion. What is your answer to critics of the relaxed gun control laws who hold that gun-related violence has actually increased, but has been masked by the postmortem amplification of the Kellis-Amberlee virus?”

Mira Grant
“Do your research. Do your homework. Learn what this man would do to our country in the name of preserving a brand of freedom that is as destructive as it is impossible to secure. Know your enemy.”

Mira Grant
“The people who have the power want you scared. They want you walking around paralyzed by the notion that you could die at any moment.”

Mira Grant
“Kellis-Amberlee is a fact of existence. You live, you die, and then you come back to life, get up, and shamble around trying to eat your former friends and loved ones. That’s the way it is for everyone.”

Mira Grant
“This is the truth: We are a nation accustomed to being afraid. If I’m being honest, not just with you but with myself, it’s not just the nation, and it’s not just something we’ve grown used to. It’s the world, and it’s an addiction. People crave fear. Fear justifies everything. Fear makes it okay to have surrendered freedom after freedom, until our every move is tracked and recorded in a dozen databases the average man will never have access to. Fear creates, defines, and shapes our world, and without it, most of us would have no idea what to do with ourselves. Our ancestors dreamed of a world without boundaries, while we dream new boundaries to put around our homes, our children, and ourselves. We limit our potential day after day in the name of a safety that we refuse to ever achieve. We took a world that was huge with possibility, and we made it as small as we could.”

Mira Grant
“He had the same empty confusion in his eyes that I saw in my mirror every morning, that odd sort of denial that only seems to come when the world decides to jump the rails without warning you first.”

Mira Grant
“I’m also fascinated by the difference between terror and fear. Fear says, “Do not actually put your hand in the alligator,” while terror says, “Avoid Florida entirely because alligators exist.”