Jessica Zu's Reviews > Talent is Overrated: What Really Separates World-Class Performers from Everybody Else

Talent is Overrated by Geoff Colvin

Aug 04, 11

bookshelves: leisure

There are numerous good points about this book: good information based on solid scientific research; pretty good writing (not master level but close); cogent argument and so on. That being said, this book leaves several threads hanging: why experience does not necessarily led to mastery and what distinguish learning through deliberate practice from normal working experience.

As a Chinese, I am totally buying into this because that's what I grow up with. And I think this book explains why Chinese-Americans are, generally speaking, doing much better than their American contemporaries: their cultural background help them to learn better not that they are naturally good at learning new stuff.

If I'm not completely biased by my Chinese root, then the ramification of this book is tremendous: we need a total transformation of our education system---learning is not just form fun, learning cannot be easy, devotion and good working habit matters more than god-given talent. Performance based tests like GRE and SAT are less essential as good teachers and devoted students. I recommend this book to any parent and anyone who is interested in self-improvement.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Talent is Overrated.