Xiaomin Zu's Reviews > Mistakes Were Made (But Not by Me): Why We Justify Foolish Beliefs, Bad Decisions, and Hurtful Acts

Mistakes Were Made (But Not by Me) by Carol Tavris

Aug 04, 11

I read it together with part of Michael Shermer's book on the believing brain. I love both books but I prefer this one because it's less personal and references me to more scientific journals. I also checked the credentials of both authors because I know a simple ph. d. in psychology is not enough to convince me of their authority. In the end, it is the evidence they provide and their lucuent logic convinced me the existence of confirmation bias and enabled me to exam some of my own beliefs.

I highly recommend it to anyone who are interested in becoming a better person by working to minimize our confirmation bias through self-reflection on our beloved self-justification.

At the end, I wish to thank Prof. Aronson and Dr. Davis for taking the trouble to write this book for the interest of the public. I know how exhausting it can be when writing a book especially when it doesn't really count in your tenure review . T.T

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mistakes Were Made (But Not by Me).