Rebecca 's Reviews > Wanderlove

Jul 12, 12

bookshelves: sophomore-reading-chal, 2012
Read from April 15 to 16, 2012

2.5/5

When I first heard of Wanderlove I was positively excited. A travel, coming of age story with illustrations – what more could you want! I went into this with very high expectations but unfortunately didn’t enjoy it as much as I had hoped.

What I didn't like:

I didn’t have a strong connection with the characters nor really feel for them; they were kind of just there.

The beginning wasn’t exactly slow but it just didn't feel like it was my thing. I went in to this book expecting to be captivated straight away and I was a little taken aback, surprised almost. Here was a book that I had been expecting a lot from and it just wasn’t what I thought it would be...

I really struggled in the beginning and felt a lack of interest to continue reading; I really had to push myself. It wasn’t until almost half way that things started to eventually look up and I found myself starting to enjoy the story more.

What I did like:

The thing I love most about Wanderlove is its uniqueness. The idea hasn’t been done before; it’s safe to say there is nothing like it on the YA market which I think readers will really appreciate. Who wants the same, repeated, washed up story again and again? I certainly don’t. And I’m sure you don’t either.

The illustrations are GORGEOUS. Simple yet detailed; captivating; charming. They certainly made the reading experience a better one. Every time I came across an illustration my face lit up and my eyes were instantly drawn in; I didn’t want to turn the page.

Wanderlove gave me an adventure without me even having to leave the house. It truly felt like I was trekking throughout Central America right beside Bria and Rowan.

Overall:

Personally Wanderlove was an okay read. No, I didn’t fall head-over-heels in love with it like I originally thought I would, but I can certainly see why others did. If you are looking for something out of the ordinary that is fresh and creative Wanderlove might just be what the doctor ordered.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wanderlove.

04/15/2012 page 200