Lars-Christian Elvenes's Reviews > The Confession

The Confession by John Grisham

Aug 04, 11

I finished The Confession shortly after reading The Associate, also by John Grisham. Compared to The Associate, The Confession is a step up.

The Confession covers a serious topic, captial punishment, and the plot revolves around the wrongful sentencing of Donte Drumm. It's not the most exciting book I've read by Grisham, but I felt it was well worth the read.

Without spoiling too much, I can say that you'll find no surprises in The Confession, and I never really felt that that was Grisham's intention either. What this means is that you'll understand the a lot of the plot and the action in the book right off the bat. To me, that was ok, but I would have liked a few more twists put in there in order to create a bit more suspense, rather than "checking off boxes" as I read the book.

I like how Grisham covers the story of sentencing an innocent man to death, and at times I had a hard time putting the book down. "Just one more chapter". If it ever becomes a movie, I hope they stay true to the book, unlike The Runaway Jury where the Tobacco industry is in focus, but where the movie version focuses on guns.

If you're a Grisham fan, read it. It's good, and more than enough "Grisham". If you're (rather) new to Grisham, realize that this isn't a book with too much of the suspenceful action, compared to some of his other work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Confession.