Judy Goodnight's Reviews > The Postmistress

The Postmistress by Sarah Blake

3205653
Aug 03, 11

bookshelves: book-club
Recommended to Judy by: book club
Recommended for: those who want a deep, emotional read
Read from July 31 to August 01, 2011, read count: 1

I read this book for one of my book clubs and found it interesting that this book got such varied reactions. There were a few who disliked it, some who felt half & half about it and then several like me who really liked the book.

The story is set primarily in 1941, during the time of the London Blitz, before the US entry into WWII. The locations are London & Germany & occupied France in Europe and the small town of Franklin, MA at the very tip of Cape Cod. Main characters are Iris, the postmistress, Harry, the town mechanic who is constantly on the watch for U-boats, Emma, the doctor's wife, Will, the doctor and Frankie Bard, a woman war correspondent. These 5 people will interact and have a profound effect on each other's lives. At the heart of the action are 3 letters to be or not to be delivered.

What I found unusual with this book is that I would not categorize it as either plot- or character-driven; rather it is driven by the theme of the book. I strongly recommend reading the author's notes at the end of the book in which she discusses the theme and the choices she made in the writing. Also, for clarity, I'd recommend, after finishing the story, that you go back and re-read the introduction to the book in which Frankie sets the story in motion.

I found it slow to get started but a strong finisher. The emotional impact in the latter part of the book was immense.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Postmistress.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kerry Kenney I agree with your last sentence summary of the book. I think this book should have been a short story.