Mimi's Reviews > Variant

F 50x66
Aug 03, 2011

bookshelves: kindle, netgalley, young-adult
Read from August 11 to 14, 2011

Benson Fisher has nothing in his life—no family, no friends, no ties to anything. So when he receives a scholarship to Maxfield Academy, it seems too good to be true. And it is. Now he’s trapped in a school that there is no escape from. There are no adults, breaking rules could mean death and the students survive by aligning themselves with the most powerful group. When Benson discovers the real secret that the school is hiding, he has to decide if following the rules is going to keep him alive or if escaping is his only option.

Variant is a fast-paced, roller coaster ride of a book. It literally grabs you from page one and never lets go. Wells knows how to pace a book perfectly, keeping the reader interested while still developing character and plot. The story is also original, which is always a nice change from the standard young adult fare. Variant will also appeal to both male and female readers, something that is often lacking in the young adult genre; rarely does one find a book that both will enjoy. Variant is that book.

On a more personal note, HOLY CRAP was this a good book! It was entertaining, chilling and just flat out good. I love a book that keeps me guessing. Every time I thought I had it figured out, it took another twist I just wasn’t expecting. I enjoyed everything about this book: great characters, well-thought-out plot, fantastic writing. The only thing I disliked was the last sentence in the book—which upon further thought, I won’t give away. Read it for yourself, you’ll see.

This was a great book, I will be recommending it to my girls and my librarian friends, and quite frankly, anyone else I can think of.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Variant.

08/13/2011