Lynne Hollingsworth's Reviews > Nineteen Minutes

Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult

Mar 01, 12

bookshelves: make-me-think-books, book-club, z-2012-audio-challenge, trama, psychology, school-shootings, nc-digital-library, chic-lit, tough-issues, books-that-changed-me, favorites-2012, bullying-abuse, realistic-fiction
Recommended for: high school students, parents, teachers, and anyone working in education
Read from February 26 to March 01, 2012

What a powerful book. I honestly didn't expect this book to be so powerful; mainly because it started out slow, bouncing back and forth between characters with no real action taking place. I soon realized this was needed to introduce the reader to each person involved or affected, and their actions that led up to the event. The event being a school shooting that takes place after a lifetime of being bullied.

Jodi Picoult creates a world so real and intense that my heart skipped a beat a few times. She has a way of getting you to feel compassion for the perpetrator and to view that person as a victim, even feeling sorry for that person at times. In retrospect, she also gets you to feel angry at the victims for their behavior prior to the shooting. But you never feel as if you need to choose sides.

The events in this book have been a reality in the past. Therefore it is up to everyone who crosses paths with a child to do their part. "Nineteen Minutes" should be required reading of all high school students, parents, teachers,and anyone working in education. We all need to become aware of the affects bullying can have on a person.

For complete review visit Lavished with Books

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nineteen Minutes.