Sarah Strohmeyer's Reviews > The American Heiress

The American Heiress by Daisy Goodwin

Aug 03, 2011

Read in August, 2011

As a fan of Downton Abbey, I couldn't wait to read this book. I really enjoyed the details that Daisy Goodwin incorporated into this rather long novel, the extravagance of the parties, the crazy dresses, the impossible society standards. As other reviewers have said, Pride and Prejudice plus Wuthering Heights (right down to the name Catherine) have obviously been huge influences. Maybe, as well, Gone with the Wind.
My only nitpicking was that I'm not sure the African American maid worked. I might be wrong, but it seems to me that in that day and age, Mrs. Cash would have hired a French maid or someone of that ilk to personally look after her daughter. Still, it provided a nice contrast to the extravagance, reminding us that Cora's lifestyle came at the expense of others.
Of course, there's a romance arc that keeps the pages turning along with the general question of whether she will or will not succeed as an American Duchess. (Better title, IMHO.)
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The American Heiress.