Lea's Reviews > Moondogs

Mar 10, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: books-i-own, acquired-2011, read-2012, reviews
Read from February 24 to 25, 2012 — I own a copy , read count: 1

Okay, I finished this a couple of weeks ago -- at the time I finished it, I gave it 3.5 stars, but now I'm not so sure. I'm thinking the writing probably pushes it closer to 4 stars . . .

Moondogs follows several characters whose lives intertwine:

There is Benicio, who has traveled to the Philippines to reconnect with his estranged father; Howard, shady businessman and Benicio's dad; Reynato Ocampo, a local policeman whose life has been immortalized in film; Ocampo's special ops unit (named Ka-Pow); Monique, an American diplomat trying to find herself in the Philippines; Ignacio and his rooster, Kelog -- the villains -- as well as several others.

It's interesting to see how the characters are joined together, and the writing is very good.

But . . .

I went into this book expecting it to be a sort of modern-day One Hundred Years of Solitude. I love magical realism, and I was very excited to find something new to read in this vein.

From the book's description:

. . . Each member of this special operations unit, aptly named Ka-Pow, is endowed with a magical skill-set: there's a man who can transform himself into any animal at will; another who is a magnet for everyone else's bad luck; and their newest recruit, a troubled young soldier who can shoot to kill from any location so long as he knows the person's name.

Although this is an accurate description, it made me believe that there would be far more magic in this book. In reality, these parts, while wonderful, are a very small part of the story. Essentially, this book was far too REAL for my taste. I wanted the magical parts to be the main focus of the story, but they were only a very small portion of it.

I do think that this book would be worth reading, especially for those who enjoy a more reality-based story (but don't mind some magic thrown into the mix).

I will definitely be on the lookout for future books from this author, although I'll be hoping for his next book to integrate even more magic into the story.
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moondogs.

message 1: by Megs ♥ (new)

Megs ♥ This should be interesting. You are my only GR friend to have read this one.

message 2: by Lea (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lea Doctor's appointment this Wednesday -- hoping to get the cast off and be able to use my hand again. Long reviews, here I come!