Rojo's Reviews > Ties That Bind, Ties That Break

Ties That Bind, Ties That Break by Lensey Namioka

Aug 03, 11

I really, really liked this book. That may sound a little plain but I really do. The first time I've even heard of this book was in 8th grade when my friend was reading it and she sat next to me in science. So I looked at what she was reading and it was about foot binding in China and I was actually really interested in that. So from that day I was like, ok, one of these days I need to read this book. Then a couple days ago my school was having a free book thing so people could have something to read during spring break. I went over there and I found the book after like two minutes, picked it up and went to class.Then I started reading it again, and I loved it. The only things that really upset me, was how shallow the girl's family was--besides her dad--about the whole thing, Yeah, I get that she would have been a burden on her family, but the whole thing made it sound like women were nothing unless they married well and had their feet bound. The grandmother especially made me really angry and her uncle. Her mom even reminded me of my mom, and I was really pretty pissed about that too because everyone seems so shallow and vain and proud and misogynistic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ties That Bind, Ties That Break.