Josh's Reviews > The Geneva Deception

Aug 19, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011, thriller
Recommended for: Thriller fans
Read from August 03 to 18, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

When I originally picked up this book, I had been under the impression that it was going to be like all of the other adventure thrillers that I read - an ancient artifact is discovered that could change the world and a massive pursuit begins with competiting people, agencies, and other sorts chasing after it. Twining's last novel of his that I had read followed this outline. Well, I was mistaken about the story of this book. The story this time involves the illegal looting and sale of ancient antiquities and the people involved with perpetuating these crimes.

Of course, there is the sale of a much-sought after artifact that sets the plot in motion, but from there the book takes place over roughly five days as the two main protaganists, Tom Kirk and Allegra Damico, race over Italy and Europe trying to hunt down the people behind several murders. The novel brings in the mafia, policemen on the take, the Vatican once again behaving as if they are above the laws of everyone else, unscrupulous bankers, and shady art dealers and museum personnel.

This is a book that moves briskly, not allowing a great deal of time for full analysis of the story as it plows along to the inevitable showdown between all the parties. The book does stick to the formula of a male/female pairing, working together to figure out how to stop the crimes about to be committed. There's the presence of technical gadgets, daring escapes, weapons, double crosses, but not a great deal of character development. The characters are there to fill their roles and to execute the plot, which is not to say that this is a bad thing. The book is good for a quick summer read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Geneva Deception.

08/03/2011