Joe's Reviews > Hatchet

Hatchet by Gary Paulsen

Jun 04, 13

Read from August 11 to 15, 2011

4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hatchet.

message 1: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Billings Hatchet was a adventurous book to read. However i do agree that it was a little uninteresting everytime he came upon a obstacle he would think on previous experience he had and that would fix the problem so i think the author could have made it more challenging for him, but overall it was a great book.

message 2: by Charlie (new)

Charlie Hatchet

Joe’s comment:
“Somehow this boy was an encyclopedia of knowledge and whenever he faced a problem he would simply think back to a show he watched, something he had read, or a previous experience to solve the issue at hand. To me this was a little too convenient and an uninteresting way for the main character to beat the challenges of the wild.”
“I thought the author did a great job of describing the lake area down to its true natural core, but the survival side of the story needed tuning to be more realistic and enjoyable. Also, I got tired of reading about his parents divorce and "The Secret" very quickly as that really didn't have any effect or add anything to the rest of the story.”

I agree with you, Brian was a little too knowledgeable when it came to certain situations. I don’t think that every thirteen year old knows how to survive in the Canadian wilderness. I also think that when the pilot had his heart attack, Brian remained too calm. Any other person would have started to panic and not know what to do.