Mary Alaga's Reviews > I Am the Chosen King

I Am the Chosen King by Helen Hollick

F_50x66
Oct 06, 11

Read from August 03 to 24, 2011

This was the second of a two part epic (The first book being "The Forever Queen"), about Harold, and the Norman usurper William.

I knew how it ended, and that's about all I knew. (Art History, Medieval study, the Bayeux tapestry.) But as a reader of all English historical fiction that I find, I decided it was time to learn more about the battle of Hastings.

I found the books fascinating and full of information that I never knew. I enjoyed almost all of the journey.

And I now understand why the subsequent English royals were such barbarians. It was because they became infused with Norman blood.

Up until William, the English had a pretty reasonable way of determining who would be king, and where everyone else fell in the pecking order. They had a reasonably civil society and everyone knew their job and place.

One fault I find with the authors writing is that she seems to have an affinity for incorporating in both her novels, the brutal death of beloved pets. Honestly, I am hesitant to read any more of her novels because of this.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Am the Chosen King.

08/09/2011

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danish (new)

Danish I have read your book review for '1066: the year of the conquest' I really do need help in a paper I am about to write an essay for my college western civilization class on this book and to be quite honest I am cutting to close to the dead line and I am in desperate need for help on this book. I have tried to google a summary, cliff notes, spark notes and much more and have not been able to find any. Can you please please please help me in writing this essay for class. I am willing to compensate for your time if needed. It will be greatly appreciated!