Bookaholics's Reviews > Kindling the Moon

Aug 03, 11

Kindling the Moon by Jenn Bennett
Urban Fantasy–June 28th, 2011
4 ½ star

Strong world building, a spunky heroine with ‘witchy’ ways and a colorful cast make for non-stop thrills and fascinating plots twists.

Arcadia has been on the run since her parents were accused of a crime they did not commit. As special Moonchild, she has powers that no ordinary magician has. She is in hiding and alone, even her closest friends do not know her true identity. She longs for the parents she has not seen in years. Arcadia and her demon partner own a bar dedicated to the supernatural species. While not exactly happy, she is content until she discovers on the news that her parents have returned and been spotted. Not only are they in danger but she is too! If Arcadia can find the real murderers her parents can go free and she can finally have a real life. However, if she can't, she must give herself up to the powerful magicians who seek retribution from her parents. Not the best of situations, but Arcadia is determined to clear their names. The only clue Arcadia has is the description of the summoned demon that caused the mass murders that her parents are accused of. But she will need help finding the demon and forcing it to name the real murderers who summoned it. So she recruits the reclusive if older and very handsome Lon Butler who is a demonologist. But will they be able to find it before it is too late.

This was a mesmerizing world. The author gives a lot of details about Arcadia’s magic and the different magical communities that made it felt real. I especially loved that Arcadia was conceived during a special ritual which makes her 'Moonchild.' Arcadia was deemed a failure because she did not immediately manifest her skills, but I have a feeling that she is a late bloomer and the author will have tons of surprises concerning Arcadia’s burgeoning powers. The characters in this book are funny, wise and even scary which makes the book fascinating reading. I found myself easily connecting to Arcadia and her love interest Lon. Lon also has a young son who was very endearing. I felt by finding Lon and his rascally son, Arcadia has also found a new family to love her. I am very excited because Arcadia and the storyline have a lot of room to grow and the author has a lot of unexpected twists and turns in this novel. I will definitely be buying the next book in this series.

Reviewed by Steph from the Bookaholics Romance Book Club

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kindling the Moon.