Nafiza's Reviews > Scarlet

Scarlet by A.C. Gaughen

Jan 27, 12

bookshelves: net-galley, debut-authors-12, 2011
Read from November 25 to 29, 2011

A C. Gaughen’s reimagining of Robin Hood’s tale is a electric, compelling and absolutely brilliant. I’m sure the story started off from a “What if…” question…what if Scarlet was a girl? What would have been her story? How did she become who she was? And how exactly does it complicate her relationship with the merry men?

Scarlet is a very strong tale that manages to insert humour into a dire situation – more relatable, perhaps, with the Occupy movements, the recession and the poverty that seems to be creeping up on us in contemporary society. Solidly written and minutely imagined, Scarlet tells a story of a girl pushed to extremes, a girl who is a survivor in all the ways that count and a girl who knows how to be brave even when her very pores are quivering with fear.

The pacing of the novel is just right and the characterizations are done just so. The world building is exact and what can I say people, the novel is sure to be a success with the Robin Hood aficionados and those who like historical novels. There is a lot of heart in this novel and it really is impressive for a debut novel to be this strong in both the execution and the premise.

The only thing I didn’t like was the love triangle. (Can we really not get away from it?) I felt that it was rather unnecessary in the grand scheme of things but perhaps the next book will prove me wrong. If you read any debut novel this year (actually, you must read Fracture and Cinder too, I insist), you should read this one (and the other two, too) because you will be losing out if you don’t. Find a corner you won’t be disturbed or intruded upon, get comfortable and lose yourself in the green forest that hides more than just animals.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scarlet.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jess (new) - added it

Jess Jealous! Can't wait to see what you think.

Nafiza I like it so far. It's very readable.

Wendy Darling 4 stars! Thanks for leaving me a note, Nafiza--I wasn't sure after seeing so many middling reviews, but I'm glad to hear you liked this one. We don't always agree, but I feel like we agree most of the time, so your opinion counts for a lot!

Nafiza I saw those reviews and honestly, I'm a bit perplexed. It not perhaps the best book out there but I think it is impressive for a debut. Yes, the love triangle is unnecessary but Scarlet is a very strong character and I don't know how you can't help but react to the plight of the common people. And yes, our reading tastes aren't identical but they are similar (we will ignore Divergent, hee) and I reckon you might like this book.

Roselyn - bookmarkedpages I also found the love triangle to be unnecessary. The story would have been a lot stronger with a straightforward romance. I'm curious to see how it will play out in the next book.