Nicholas's Reviews > The Selfish Gene

M 50x66
Sep 04, 2008

bookshelves: biology
Read in August, 2008

** spoiler alert ** This is the place to start to gain an understanding of genetics. It is step one. I wish I had read this earlier because it would have made all the other ones so much easier to read.

Quotes:

"We are survival machines-robot vehicles blindly programmed to preserve the selfish molecules known as genes."

"Contraception is sometimes attacked as 'unnatural'. So it is, very unnatural. The trouble is, so is the welfare state."

"The result of this is that one of the most desirable qualities a male can have in the eyes of a female is, quite simply, sexual attractiveness itself."

"The fundamental units of natural selection, the basic things that survive or fail to survive, that form lineages of identical copies with occasional random mutations, are called replicators. DNA molecules are replicators. They generally gang together into large communal survival machines or 'vehicles'. The vehicles that we know best are individual bodies like our own. A body, then, is not a replicator; it is a vehicle. Vehicles don't replicate themselves; they work to propagate their replicators. Replicators don't behave, don't perceive the world, don't catch prey or run away from predators; they make vehicles that do all those things."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Selfish Gene.