Ian Durham's Reviews > The System of the World (The Baroque Cycle, Vol. 3, Book 3)

The System of the World (The Baroque Cycle, Vol. 3, Book 3) by Neal Stephenson

5951980
Aug 03, 2011

Well, I finished this awhile ago but never wrote a review. Where to begin? I'm not sure I could even do it justice. What a monumental trilogy. It deserves stars just for being written. Add to that the fact that it was actually *well* written and fun to read (as Stephenson's books tend to be) and the five stars were almost too few. That said, I found a few small spots in Volume 2 to run a bit slow, but Volume 3 was a fantastic way to wrap things up. What terrific characters he created. Talk about bringing Newton and his contemporaries to life! It makes you feel as if you could actually relate to them (nevermind the fact that so much of it is implausible). Stephenson manages to be be simultaneously funny (hysterical, even), poignant, insightful, and educational all at once (I mean, who knew how pioneering the Dutch were to the development of the stock exchange).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The System of the World (The Baroque Cycle, Vol. 3, Book 3).