Matthew's Reviews > In-N-Out Burger: A Behind-the-Counter Look at the Fast-Food Chain That Breaks All the Rules

In-N-Out Burger by Stacy Perman

Aug 25, 2011

liked it
Read from August 03 to 25, 2011

In-N-Out is America in a burger chain, and as a New Yorker, I have been craving it constantly ever since I last traveled to Cali. Perman has written a book that creates equal parts craving and disgust, pride and shame in the fast food industry as a whole. (For example, hearing how Kroc cut costs and quality with McD's literally had me sick to my stomach.)

The Snyder empire in particular becomes something of a trilogy of Shakespearean drama. Comedy and tragedy blend together to form quite the gripping narrative, one that I think would make for a great HBO or Showtime series (even if In-N-Out itself isn't named). Perman handles this story very well, even if there are some extremely dry and boring sections sprinkled throughout the narrative.

One thing's for sure -- there were no shortages of hunger while reading this. I had to stop and cook up a burger once or twice during my time with the book!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In-N-Out Burger.