Tess's Reviews > The Last Werewolf

The Last Werewolf by Glen Duncan

May 12, 12

bookshelves: horror, paranormal
Read from May 08 to 11, 2012

Well, this had been on my "to read" list for a while. I got stuck at an airport with nothing to read and 4 hours + to kill.
This is definitely the dark side of paranormal. Animal, brutal, and very sexual. The story is mostly told from Jake Marlowe's point of view, as if you are reading his diary. Despite being in his head, I found it very hard to like him as a main character. I understood him, to some extent, but didn't like him.
I also am not one for the really brutal versions of paranormal worlds. This book is the exact opposite of those sparkly vampires and hot men werewolves in the Twlight world. Which I also really don't like. I like Kelley Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld series - it's dark and sexy, but the characters are still human-like. Jake Marlowe keeps pointing out how he is no longer human.

If people are sickened by the sugar-sweet world paranormal fiction has become, The Last Werewolf is probably a good book to try. In fact, there's a sequel coming out soon if not already out. I just won't be reading it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Werewolf.

05/09/2012 page 220