Meredith Schorr's Reviews > Always Something There to Remind Me

Always Something There to Remind Me by Beth Harbison

Aug 12, 11

Read from August 03 to 12, 2011

I was really excited to read this book. The premise that you can meet someone in high school with whom you fall so deeply in love that it transcends decades of living without him is, well, extremely romantic! And I did really enjoy the book, looked forward to picking up and found the ending quite moving. That being said, I wished the author had showed us a stronger bond between Erin and Nate back in high school so that I could truly believe in their love. Both teenage and adult Erin talked about how much she loved Nate and how they were so compatible but I never really saw it. I felt like the book relied too much on sex - either Nate and Erin were fighting because of some melodrama Erin was pulling or they were making up and having hot makeup sex. (I also found it a little unrealistic that at such a young age, Nate was so incredibly skilled. Really? Most high school guys have no clue what they are doing and most girls don't reach their peak until later either, but it IS fiction.) I wish there had been more scenes of them talking and laughing rather than fighting and screwing so I could believe that after 23 years, they'd still yearn for each other based on something other than physical chemistry. I also wish there had been a little more character development of Rick so I could believe he actually stood a chance, but that might have been the author's intention. In any event, it was definitely a gripping read and once I set aside doubts as to whether Erin and Nate's love had been sufficiently demonstrated, I let go and gave in to the romance and fantasy of it all. I also liked the way Harbison developed the two completely different teenagers - Camilla and Roxanne. Roxanne was a pisser!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Always Something There to Remind Me.