Lindsay 's Reviews > The Poisoned House

The Poisoned House by Michael  Ford

Aug 08, 11

bookshelves: kindlereads, arc-review
Read in August, 2011

The Poisoned House is an eery tale embellished on the real life documents of a girl in 1855 that were found in an attic. That was initially what caught my attention. I love stories set in this time period, and it proved to be a delightfully engrossing and entertaining read.

While the storyline isn't exactly what I'd call original, the execution was fantastic. Robert Ford built a world so vivid it was easy to picture each occurance, and understand each emotion of our leading girl, Abigail. Secrets, betrayals and suspense were all expertly delivered in Ford's smooth writing style. The depth and purpose for each character were fleshed out well. We learned just enough about each to make them solid and real, then they faded in and out as was needed.

I thought the ending needed a little more spookiness to balance out the rest of the story. Maybe some kind of supernatural exit would have tied everything up nicely, and made a more spectacular finish. The momentum Ford established was solid throughout, with no slow spots or what I call 'dead zones', where there is simply nothing happening but lots of description of menial things. I found myself having devoured this story in a short amount of time.

I recommend this book to any and all ghost story lovers looking for a new haunting tale.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Poisoned House.