J'aime's Reviews > Basilisk

2200613
Aug 03, 2011

bookshelves: science-fiction
Read from August 10 to 17, 2011

Chimera had so much potential that I was excited when I learned it was the start of a series, rather than the stand alone I expected it to be. Basilisk exceeded that potential and then some! The story started off slow, but became a real page turner rather quickly. First, I love the characters. Stefan and Misha (and Saul) are a LOT like Niko and Cal (and Robin) from the author’s urban fantasy series. Stefan is the older brother who is wicked deadly and overprotective, and Misha is his younger brother who struggles with being a “monster.” Some could consider this a negative for not being original enough, but sometimes it’s best to stick with what works. I wasn’t thrilled with Thurman’s Trickster series because I feel the protagonist is too weak to carry it.

Chimera was told from Stefan’s point of view, but this time it’s Misha. I actually preferred him because there was more room for humor – such as Misha’s struggles with slang and cursing – amidst a tension-filled plot. After a series of chases in book one, here they take the offensive. Spurred on by a desire to save the children left behind. Only they aren’t really children, and they don’t want to be saved; they want to kill. Since Misha is a genetically engineered assassin, it would have been all too easy to set up a deux ex machine ending. Instead, his opponents are even more lethal and intelligent, making it more meaningful for Misha to work as a team with Stefan and Saul. Though Ariel didn't quite work out on the relationship front, I loved the idea. One thing that the Leandros series doesn’t have is any real romantic subplot, which is perfectly fine for that series, but it could add something good here.

Overall, this was a fast-paced science fiction thriller that hooked me from page one. I hope we don’t have long to wait for the next book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Basilisk.