J'aime's Reviews > After the Golden Age

2200613
Aug 03, 11

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, do-not-own
Read in February, 2011

Mom's Review: If you're into superhero comics, this book may be for you. If you can enjoy a comic book without the artwork that makes the story come alive, that is. You may be wondering why I ordered this book? Two reasons: I love the author's Kitty Norville series, and I thought this was the sequel to her novel "Discord's Apple," which I did enjoy. It isn't - it's a stand alone YA novel.

The plot is predictable to most readers who are familiar with DC and Marvel comics and their wonderful, fully developed superheroes. I want a little more substance in my stories aside from "good guys fight bad guys, and also fight cops who misunderstand their motives and call them vigilantes". But what really ruined it for me was that it is yet another book about an adult child who resents his/her parents and goes out of his/her way to get even with them for not giving him/her a perfect childhood! Throwing in this disgruntled "heroine" didn't help an already cliche story. And, I really need to identify with or at least like the protagonist I'm about to spend an entire book with. I'm not saying I wouldn't enjoy a novel with superhero characters. I have enjoyed graphic novels like those by Alan Moore, and I love superhero movies. I just felt this book, while perhaps a good idea to begin with, wasn't well executed. It felt like a bad ripoff of "The Incredibles" with one powerless, bratty child. Obviously, others have enjoyed this and it will find an audience. And, I highly recommend the author's other series. Overall, I found this to be a disappointment.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read After the Golden Age.